The City of Miramar was incorporated May 26, 1955. At the time of incorporation, the City had a population of less than two hundred people. With approximately 2.9 square miles land area, Miramar's original city boundaries were: S.W. 64th Avenue on the east, University Drive on the West the Dade County Line on the south - Pembroke Road on the north On June 20th, 1955, the City's first Mayor and City council were sworn in, all of which were appointed by the Governor.
Situated in southwestern Broward County, Miramar is 14 miles in length from east to west and 2.5 miles in width, making it the third largest city in Broward County in terms of land size and the 5th largest city in Broward in terms of population.
Miramar has outstanding Public Safety Departments with a full-time staff of professionally trained and certified firefighters and police officers. The City has two water treatment plants, one wastewater treatment plant, and all other services necessary for the health and welfare of its residents.
Eleven elementary schools, three middle schools, two high schools, various charter schools and a special needs school are located in Miramar. As well as eight institutions of higher learning, such as Nova Southeastern University, Broward College, Ana Mendez University, DeVry University, Le Cordon Bleu, Strayer University, Concorde Institute and the University of Phoenix. The city also enjoys top flight medical treatment with Memorial Regional located within the city limits as well.
There are 22 neighborhood parks, one regional park and ten community parks in the city where athletic activities such as the following are available for sports enthusiasts: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Handball, Racquetball, Tennis, Volleyball, Jogging, Netball, Cricket, Track & Field, and Swimming